According to a recent article by Reuters, painkillers such as diclofenac and ibuprofen increase the risk of a heart attack as much as the drugs that were withdrawn from the market due to their dangers.
One such withdrawn drug was Vioxx which caused 30,000 sudden cardiac deaths and heart attacks. This drug remained on the market for years, even though its manufacturing company and the FDA were aware of the consequences of using this drug.
The Reuters’ article announced that the same danger of heart failure and heart attack is present with the using of painkillers.
Why are painkillers taken?
Nowadays, many people suffer from inflammations and pain. Sometimes, people are able to reduce the inflammations and pain by reducing stress, reducing chemical exposure and changing their diet. However, the pain may be unbearable and many people want to stop it immediately.
In this case, people take over-the-counter painkillers such as ibuprofen.
Unfortunately, people are not aware that even though the pain is gone, these medications slowly kill our body.
Ibuprofen, a petrochemical-derivate, increases the risk of heart attack and cardiac mortality. It can even cause all-cause mortality if combined with aspirin. Ibuprofen is also linked to the following health issues:
- DNA damage
4. Influenza mortality
5. Hearing loss
Besides ibuprofen, many other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of a heart attack and mortality. However, finding relief from pain is very important, so you must know the natural alternatives to artificial painkillers.
Alternative pain treatments
The following natural ingredients may be used as an alternative to ibuprofen:
- Ginger– taking ginger capsules 4 times a day is an excellent alternative to ibuprofen and mefenamic acid in case of pain during a menstrual cycle.
2. Arnica – hand osteoarthritis can be treated with topical application of arnica.
3. Chinese skullcap – Chinese skullcap contain a compound called baicalin. This compound can be used to reduce pain instead of ibuprofen.
4. Vitamin C, Ginkgo biloba and astacanthin – respiratory inflammation linked to asthma may be reduced with this combination.
5. Omega-3 fatty acid – arthritis pain may be reduced with around 2000 milligrams of omega 3 fatty acids daily.
6. Panax ginseng – rheumatism and arthritis pain can be treated with panax ginseng. Panax ginseng has better anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties than ibuprofen.
7. St. John’s wort – St. John’s wort is a better painkiller than ibuprofen. It is two times more effective than the dangerous ibuprofen.
8. Raspberries and cherries – the enzyme cyclooxygenase that causes inflammations is suppressed with the drugs ibuprofen and naproxen. Raspberries and sweet cherries contain antheocyanins that is as effective as these drugs.
9. Holy basil – this natural ingredient has the same anti-inflammatory properties as ibuprofen, aspirin and naproxen.
10. Olive oil – ibuprofen and oleocanthal, a compound of olive oil, have the same anti-inflammatory powers.
There are many other natural ingredients that reduce pain and inflammations. Aromatherapy can have the same effects as well. However, both the drugs and the natural ingredients only suppress the pain without fixing the problem that causes it. To fix the real problem, determine the cause of the problem, change your lifestyle and diet, and avoid pro-inflammatory foods such as wheat, wheat-free grains, dairy products and nightshade vegetables.