How to Clear Your Sinuses with Your Tongue and Your Thumb in 20 Seconds
You need to push your tongue against the top of your mouth and place a finger between your eyebrows, by applying pressure. Hold it like this for about 20 seconds and you will notice how your sinuses will begin to drain.
Lisa DeStefano, D.O, an assistant professor at the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, explains that this causes the vomer bone (which runs through the nasal passages to the mouth) to rock back and forth. She says: “The motion loosens congestion; after 20 seconds, you’ll feel your sinuses start to drain”.
The Top 4 DIY Home Remedies for Sinus Infection
The sinus infection can be a very uncomfortable and annoying feeling. It is actually an inflammation of the lining in the sinus cavities. Sinusitis can be caused by allergies, colds, bacteria and flu. Unfortunately, sinus infections are very common condition nowadays and even 37 millions of Americans a year are affected by. Luckily, there are many natural and effective remedies for sinus infection as an alternative to conventional drugs offered nowadays.
- Oregano Oil
Even though the oregano oil is not one of the most available home remedies for sinus infection, it is still one of the most effective sinus infection treatments. You can either ingest the oregano oil or steam it and then inhale over a stove. Apart from being extremely effective in terms of sinus infection, the oregano oil helps in fighting infections, improves digestion and improves biological function, especially in the colon and the liver.
The turmeric provides many powerful health benefits thanks to its powerful compound called curcumin. This spice has the ability to treat sinus infection among many other health benefits. The compound curcumin clears the airways and aids the healing of sinus cavity. Sinus infections are mainly caused by nasal inflammation, and the anti-inflammation properties that turmeric has make this spice one of the most effective natural remedies for treating sinus infection.
- Apple cider vinegar
The apple cider vinegar is another very effective natural treatment for sinus infection. It has a whole range of uses and many individuals confirmed its effectiveness in treating various health conditions, including sinus infections. There are several ways of how to use the apple cider vinegar and the most powerful are the following:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey and 8 oz of warm water. The sinus infection will disappear in few days.
- Try steaming with apple cider vinegar; Mix ½ cup of water and ½ cup of apple cider vinegar. Heat it on the stove and inhale the steam with mouth and eyes closed. Organic ACV is recommended over non-organic.
- Another option is to take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar three times a day. You can use it diluted to ingest during the day or made to ingest quickly.
- Nasal saline rinse
Finally, there is the nasal saline rinse. It is one of the most popular sinus infection treatments to store in your home remedies memory bank. You can make a mixture by combining ¼ teaspoon of sea salt or pickling salt with a pinch or baking soda and a cap-full of hydrogen peroxide in a 1 cup of warm water. There is yet simpler variant- sea salt/pickling salt and warm water. If you haven’t done a saline rinse before or a nasal irrigation, try following the directions or ask someone for assistance. Even though the saline rinse is not one of the most comfortable options, it is still one of the most effective home remedies for treating sinus infection.
Apart from the above mentioned home remedies for sinus infections, there are yet some other options that you can try.
- Clean you house and your bedroom thoroughly. You can use HEPA filter air purifier which is highly beneficial.
- Apply warm compresses to your face several times a day for about 5 minutes.
- Try taking up to 1000mg of vitamin C, 1-3 times on daily basis. This mineral is recommended due to its ability to boost immunity and to help fend off sinus infections.
- Drink hot liquids in order to moisturize your mucous membranes and to wash away mucus out of your sinuses more quickly.
- Elevate your head while sleeping