The fast life we live does not give us much time to prepare fresh meals at home, so unfortunately very often we reach out to instant and quick solutions, including the reheating of food prepared several days ago. But you must know that not all foods are good for reheating because of bacteria that cannot be destroyed by reheating and because proteins whose molecules are shattered during re-warming. Nitrates are harmless and can be found in leafy vegetables, but when they are reheated they can be converted into nitrites and then nitrosamines, which are known to be carcinogenic. And while some may pass this process, like beans, peas and various soups, you should never reheat these five foods!
Chicken and other meat poultry, like eggs, may be contaminated with salmonella. It can be an even bigger problem if you reheat it in the microwave, whose waves do not penetrate to all parts of the food, like when it’s heated on the stove. Reheating chicken is not recommended largely because, unlike red meat, it has a higher density of proteins whose molecules during reheating shatter different, which can lead to stomach problems and various digestive problems.
The most important thing about the cooked rice is how to be stored after preparation. If it’s kept at a room temperature, the spores of the bacteria multiply rapidly and can produce a poison which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Reheating the rice would not eliminate these toxins, but will only make things worse.
Similar to rice, problem with the potatoes is not the reheating, but in the way of storage after preparation. If the potatoes are stored at room temperature, not refrigerated, that is a perfect condition for the development of the bacterium clostridium botulinum, especially if potato is wrapped in foil and has no contact with oxygen. Reheating of the potatoes will not eliminate this dangerous bacterium that can cause botulism, a dangerous infection that in a worst case paralyzes brain nerves and leaves severe consequences.
Spinach and other leafy vegetables
Spinach and other leafy vegetables, depending on where it is grown, contains enough nitrates, which are harmless like that, but after reheating they are converted into nitrites and then nitrosamines, which are known to be carcinogenic. It can affect the ability of the bloodstream to carry oxygen to organs and in young children can lead to a condition known as “blue baby syndrome”, which occurs due to problems with the respiratory system.
Mushrooms contain protein which are very easy to be broken by enzymes and microorganisms. If you do not store appropriately, mushrooms can be ruined very quickly and cause gastric problems after reheating. It’s recommended to not keep in refrigerator longer than 24 hours and need to be heated only at temperatures above 70 degrees.