It is hard to find a person who does not know what cellulite is. Some lucky guys (and men) who appeared to have a wife or girlfriend without this ‘skin curse’ don’t even guess how much nerves, words (Honey, you’re still so beautiful), and money they are saving. So, probably you already know whether you have cellulite or not, but if don’t – squeeze the skin on your upper thigh, stomach or buttocks. If it looks a bit lumpy, resembling cottage cheeseor orange peel, you probably have it. If you have it – smile, you are not alone. Most of women, girls and men have it.
Cellulite is a condition (in men and women) when the skin of some particular places (as butt, stomach and thigh) becomes dimpled and look lumpy.
Other names that describe this condition are ‘orange peel syndrome’, ‘cottage cheese skin’, ‘hail damage’, ‘the mattress phenomenon’. The term (and, actually, the notion) was first created in the 1920’s. Now it is well known all over the world.
There are four types (or grades) of cellulite, starting from with light version of it without symptoms and ending with very visible “orange peel”. It develops it five stages:
Blood microcirculation is lessened and weakens the surrounding tissue, making it more susceptible to cellulite.Lymphatic drainage is reduced.
After that the capillaries and veins become weakened and leak blood into the surrounding tissue. The fluid drainage is reduced even more.
After a few months of lymphatic fluid build up, the fat tissue become swollen and begin to push against the outer skin.
The stagnant lymphatic fluid cause the development of fibers, that begin to trap and squeeze the fat cells. The skin in this area may even feel cold to the touch, because of the lack of circulation.
Septae fibers continue to grow and fat continues to be stored in these cells. The result is large lumps and bumps that are the hallmarks of cellulite.
Cellulite develops in several areas along the body:
- Buttocks – this is considered to be almost the ‘classical cellulite’. When one says about cellulite, one who listens him (or her) almost definitely think about cellulite on the butt
- Thigh – this is a type of cellulite commonly seen both in men and women. It is oftencaused (or worsen) by too much leg exercise (as well as due to reduced circulation and increased fluid drainage)
- Stomach – is considered to be connected with digestive disorders
- Upper arm – usually occurs in older women
- Back of the neck – long stress can cause the tension in neck muscle that leads totissue inflammation that in its turn can cause fluid retention. The result is cellulite formation on the neck.
The typical symptoms of cellulite are a dimpled and bulging ‘orange peel’, ‘cottage cheese’ and ‘mattress’ appearance or look in areas mentioned above. In the early stages cellulite is evident with a pinch test only, in the late stage it is evident even while standing.
Medical treatment very often deals with the symptoms of cell, skipping the root of the problem and the physical process of the cellulite development. Natural medicine fights the root cause of the condition that really gives promising results in treating it.
Cellulite can be trigged out with the following:
- Hormonal factors– the dominant reason of the cellulite formation. First hormone in the list is estrogen (it considered to start and aggravate the condition), then comes hormones that also participate in the cellulite development: insulin, adrenaline, catecholamines, noradrenalin, plolactin and thyroid hormones.
- Genetic factors– is appeared to be connected with the cellulite development. Also gender. Biotype, race and predisposition to circulatory insufficiency.
- Lifestyle– lack of exercises, tight clothes, high heeled shoes, smoking, sitting or standing in wrong position for long period of time. Stress is also in the list.
- Food habits– diet can affect the development of cellulite and excessive consumption of fat, salt, carbohydrates, alcohol or too little fiber can also initiate and increase cellulite.
Actually, the causes of cellulite are understood very poorly. One thing is definite -several changes in physiology and metabolism can provoke cellulite (or worsen it). Water metabolism and chronic venous insufficiency is fist in the list.
There is range of cellulite treatment products, starting from cosmetic plastic surgery, high-tech massage and ending with miracle creams with magic special ingredients.How to get rid of cellulite?
- Liposuction– a cosmetic surgerical procedure in which the fat layers are removed to thinner legs, buttocks, stomach, and (if necessary) arms. This way of treatment is rather expensive and the procedure may often exacerbate cellulite by destroying the venous and lymphatic system in the area.
- Injections– it is a technique where the fat injections are used for smoothingout dimples and bumps of cellulite (fat is natural and harvested from other parts of your body). But the technique gives temporary result (approximately 6 months).
- ‘Lower Body Lift’– this is surgical procedure where the incision around the stomach is made and the skin is stretched to flatten out the dimples and lumps of cellulite. The scars and a long recovery period are minuses of this way of cellulite treatment.
- Mesotherapy– the injection of vitamins, minerals, and homeopathic medicine to the cellulite area. This breaks down cellulite and stimulates circulation, but the effect lasts several weeks or months (then more injections are needed).
- Massage Therapy– with the help of roller or hands. It creates symmetrical skin folds. The procedure requires a lot of time for the temporary result (and money as well), as it doesn’t fix the root problem.
- Creams– cellulite treatment creams are based on the natural ingredients that stimulate lipolysis or fat burning.
The reason why natural medicine is effective in treating cellulite is that it initially fights the root problem of the condition. These important ingredients can be found in the form of herbs, seed extracts and oils.
Gotu Kola is first in the listas it works well for skin conditions, so can be helpful in the treatment of cellulite. It stimulates the body to produce substances that strengthen the collagen fibers and improve circulation of blood. Gotu kola is also able to reduce or slow down the process of hardening of connective tissue cells below the skin’s surface. It strengthens the vein walls, so preventing further damage and leaking. It improves the flexibility of the connective tissue and skin tone and firmness. The extract of Gotu kola can be used in cream, supplement, and mesotherapy injection forms for cellulite treatment.
Horse Chestnut has one very important ingredient for cellulite treatment – aescin. Itdecreases the size of pores on the walls of the capillaries and improves blood flowand balances the circulation in the skin. It also helpsto lessen the appearance of cellulite by toning the capillaries below the skin. All this makes aescin in the horse chestnut so valuable component in hand creams, lotions, and other cellulite products.
Grape seed extract reinforces the fibers of collagen. It is an antioxidant and helps to maintain the elasticity of the blood vessels. Grape seed extract has been shown to strengthen the connective tissue, and reduce the effects of aging on skin. It also contains flavonoids and tannings that strenghten the walls of small veins and lymphatic vessels – it improves circulation from the legs and fights one of the reason of cellulite development. Studies on grape seed showed that they may be beneficial in preventing the accumulation of fat tissues.
Kelp and other seaweed Fucus with its high iodine content boosts the body’s metabolism. It provokes activeburning of the calories. They also contain mucilage, a natural compound that can prevent fluid retention. For cellulite treatment it is often used in body wraps.
Ginkgo biloba is an excellent oxidant, it helps in the smooth passage of blood.
Caffeine is the ingredient of almost all cellulite cream. It is explained be the fact that it is very effective. Caffeine increases blood flow and stimulates the fat cells to release fat to the bloodstream. Fat is effectively burned by the body’s metabolism. Caffeine can also firm the skin, so the cellulite becomes not so obvious.
Other natural products that help fight cellulite are theophylline, Asiatic and madecassic acid, lipase, and plant extracts like green tea.